• Founded in 1998, NSPN is a non-profit organization devoted to helping sea kayakers at all levels enjoy the ocean and improve their skills. Our home base is the North Shore of Massachusetts, but we range up and down the beautiful New England coastline.

The heart of our club is a “pass it forward” culture of peer teaching and learning, with a membership ranging from seasoned experts to novices. Key activities include paddling trips, skills sessions, camping trips, winter pool sessions, workshops and social events.  We support members seeking leadership and coaching training with our Leadership Training Fund.

We are a member club of the Maine Island Trail Association and are stewards of two MITA islands in Casco Bay.

• More events on the Trips Forum!

• Upcoming Events

No upcoming events found
  • Recent Forum Posts

• Thanks for the update Adam.  Another time!  
    • Time to clean out the closet and ensure this grouping of Mocke gear gets used. Available very lightly used Mocke gear in excellent condition includes (msrp):   Racer PFD M/L ($165), Sleeveless Vest L ($45), Calf Leash ($50), Paddle Leash ($15), Instructional video ($20).  Price new $295.  Asking $90 obo for entire package. Reach out via PM or text eight zero four eight one four one five five four.    .
    • Not sure what the process is for confirming  attendance   , but  in any event I  think i first signed up but now cant attend today, not  feeling too  fit to travel and paddle after a long day yesterday. I'll miss you and fine autumn paddling.   Peter 
    • I need to take myself off the waitlist. The Y is short on staff this weekend. I'll be taking on a swim instructor shift. 
    • Recommendations for birdwatching binoculars fall into two categories.    1) if you are  birdwatching on land , like most birders,  no kayaking involved and  2)  if you are taking binoculars  for use while kayaking .    For on- land birding, all of the usual recommendations are sound, and  choice mostly gets down to cost: the high quality brands like Swarovski, Leica /Leiss  and Zeiss easily  run in the $1, 00O's, so they become a precious piece of equipment, suggesting more care than many kayak trips and expeditions might afford.   . 8 x42 binoculars are  popular and reliable.   For on-land birding I would lean towards an objective lens  of at least  x40, unless compact & lighter weight  is a  high priority , in which case there are some excellent models in the 8x30 or 8 x32  range.   But I would warn against  being lured by the  popular compact lightweight  binoculars like 8 x20 or 10 x25 (they're sometimes called theatre glasses) no matter what their quality : too little light and poor depth of field, meaning a more jittery image, less bright  and difficulty quickly focusing.   Nikon Monarch binoculars are generally a good choice,  balancing good quality and not ridiculously expensive.    Birding for use while kayaking is  a whole other story,  and has a unique set of requirements!   there are  3 unique considerations: 1) you want  good depth of field, for ease of quick focusing while on a moving and unstable platform. : eg fast focusing a 8 x 20 pair  is very unreliable.    2)   you want a non- jittery image, meaning a slightly lower magnification, for remaining in focus on a moving and unstable platform.  Big binoculars  like  8x  or 10x  mean a more jittery image , especially combined with a smaller objective lens.    3) you want  not so expensive that its not devastating to lose them,  or anything else happening to them  like can happen  on adventure sport  outings. .    The model I  like taking in my kayak is the Leupold 6 x 30;   Decent price  combined with decent quality  X30 objective kens combined with lower  (6x) magnification  lens  means plenty of light and less jittery image  and good depth of field  , all good things if you need to locate a bird and focus very quickly.  . I think tha high magnification can be overrated and  for me , 6X  works pretty well while on the water. I think if  I were getting  just one pair of binoculars for all my birding needs  (on land and by kayak, and hiking/ backpacking etc. ) I would look for something in the 8x30 or 8X32 range.