• Founded in 1998, NSPN is a non-profit organization devoted to helping sea kayakers at all levels enjoy the ocean and improve their skills. Our home base is the North Shore of Massachusetts, but we range up and down the beautiful New England coastline.

The heart of our club is a “pass it forward” culture of peer teaching and learning, with a membership ranging from seasoned experts to novices. Key activities include paddling trips, skills sessions, camping trips, winter pool sessions, workshops and social events.  We support members seeking leadership and coaching training with our Leadership Training Fund.

We are a member club of the Maine Island Trail Association and are stewards of two MITA islands in Casco Bay.

• More events on the Trips Forum!

• Upcoming Events

No upcoming events found
  • Recent Forum Posts

• >>"Not to highjack the thread but, FWIW, CARC is beginning to move away from framing Blackburn as a “race” and focusing more on the “challenge” aspect, Hi Matt, You're not hijacking at all—thanks for sharing the information. Up until I retired from kayak racing at 75, I was always too competitive to not try and beat as many entrants as I could. Even when I started racing at 58, I knew I was too old to win a big race like the Blackburn, but I still gave it my all. My best finish there was sixth place with a time of 3:15. I was always a bit disappointed that races didn’t have age-adjusted times. By the way, I raced against you several times before you switched to surfski racing. I even managed to beat you a couple of times—possibly at the Nahant Bay Race or maybe the Marblehead Race. Do you happen to know if there was more than one Marblehead Race? Best, Leon
    • I have two pairs of Binonculars that I actively. use - a Swarovski CL pocket 8 x 25.  They are amazing but I don't dare take them out on the ocean.  I have also have a pair NOCS that seem to do a fairly good job and are waterproof.  https://www.rei.com/product/203789/nocs-provisions-standard-issue-8-x-25-waterproof-binoculars?sku=2037890007&store=57&CAWELAID=120217890017803531&CAGPSPN=pla&CAAGID=131391860812&CATCI=pla-1407584524749&cm_mmc=PLA_Google|21700000001700551_2037890007|92700065783698450|NB|71700000074092983&gad_source=1&gclid=Cj0KCQjw6oi4BhD1ARIsAL6pox3lSBOz5yDlCtaMHbZl8wzDXcjeQbrlv9BS0MFgPNoWv00o2nct5h8aAsLUEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds
    • It is well worth finding a local Audubon or other optics store, and trying out a few models.  Of the models you have linked to, the 8x42 will give you the best view, particularly in dim light.  But they will be bulkier and heavier than the 8x25.  Another consideration is if you wear glasses, then the eye relief will be something to consider, and this model will probably give the best view with glasses. The 8x25 will be the easiest to take along, fitting in pockets, packs, etc easiest.  Also, their lighter weight will be nice when you want to wander around with them on your neck.   The 10x42 will give work best for longer distance bird viewing, but will be bulkier, heavier, and not everyone finds 10 power that easy to use, as the extra power magnifies our hands shakiness, or boats rocking, more than 8 power.  Again, trying some out will be helpful.  If you plan to be looking across the water, or down the beach, at birds in the distance, 10 power is nice to have, but if most of your birding will be in forested habitat, farm fields and on strolls around town, in backyards, the 8 power may suite you better. Personally, I mostly use an old, expensive, heavy Nikon 10x42.  But I tend to be looking at shorebirds and waterfowl mostly across large expanses of sand and water.  I also have a pair of Swift 8x25, which I use when I want something light and easy to carry. I would suggest leaning toward the 8x25 as a first pair, with the thought that if you really get into birding, and find they are limiting you, you can get the larger binocs later to add to your kit.
    • A decade or so ago two NSPN kayakers were rescued in Ipswich Bay by a Coast Guard helicopter from the Cape Cod airbase. In this video you can hear the helicopter hoist operator crew members updating the pilots on the stages of the effort and giving control commands.  If you watch carefully you can see the rescue swimmer let go of the rescue basket as it's being hoisted aloft with the first paddler. The video ends as the rescue swimmer arrives in the cabin holding a paddle.  No idea what became of the kayaks... Rescue swimmers (see Junger's The Perfect Storm) wear a lot of gear: masks, snorkels, fins, drysuits, Co2 pfd's, helmets...
    • Thanks, everybody. The high-end brands are outside of my budget.  These from local Audubon stores are more my speed. Which of these would you suggest? One is 10x, the other two are 8X: Audubon store binocs